Life with braces does take some adjustment. But with a little time and practice, you should get used to wearing and caring for your braces in no time at all! If you have questions about caring for your braces in Miami, Florida, our dentist, Dr. Doralio S. Millan, or a member of our team will be happy to talk with you. Call Premier Dental Solutions at 305-271-7500 today with your questions.
How do I keep my teeth clean with braces?
It is essential to maintain good oral hygiene while you are wearing braces. To keep your smile healthy while wearing braces, we encourage you to follow these steps:
- Brush your teeth three times a day, especially after meals.
- Clean around your brackets and wires thoroughly.
- Floss every day, even if you require a floss threader to reach between your braces.
- Rinse your teeth each time you clean them.
- Pay attention to the list of foods to avoid with braces.
We understand caring for your smile may be difficult while wearing braces, but we encourage you to maintain good oral hygiene. Poor oral hygiene while wearing braces may result in tooth damage, tooth decay or prolonged orthodontic treatment.
What do I do if I have an orthodontic emergency?
If you experience an orthodontic emergency, such as a broken or lost appliance, we urge you to call our office as soon as possible. Even if you have a regular appointment scheduled soon, please call us immediately to let us know that you need an appliance repaired. We will also be able to provide you with any needed instructions on what to do until you can come to see our dentist.
Orthodontic emergencies may include:
- Loose brackets
- Loose bands
- Poking wires
- Wire irritations
- Lost separators
- Pain caused by braces or other orthodontic appliances